Licence to transport explosives

A licence is needed to transport explosives by road or rail.

Who should apply

Any person or business transporting explosives over land must apply for a licence.

A licence is not required for the carriage of explosives of Classification Code 1.3G, 1.4G, or 1.4S - eg party poppers, Christmas crackers or safety fuse.

A licence may only be granted for:

  • the owner to whom it is issued
  • the vehicle specified
  • the quantity of explosive stated.

Licences are not transferable.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download the application form for a licence from the SafeWork SA website.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the applications with SafeWork SA by post or in person with the specified fee and any supporting documentation indicated in your application.

SafeWork SA contact details and office locations


Commencing 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021

Weight Fees
To carry up to 60 kg $41.25
To carry up to 265 kg $65.50
To carry up to 1,000 kg $71.50
To carry over 1,000 kg $208.00

Renewing your licence

A licence is issued for a period of 12 months but may be renewed for another 12 months by paying the prescribed fee while the licence is current.

Related information

On this site


Was this page useful?

Page last updated 30 June 2020

Provided by:
Department of Treasury and Finance
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021