Food business notification

All businesses and activities that involve selling food must notify their local council.

Who should notify

A food business means a business, enterprise or activity - other than a primary food production business - that involves:

  • handling food intended for sale
  • selling food.

This is regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.

Mobile food businesses should notify the council in which the vehicle is normally garaged.

You need only complete the notification process once unless your details change.

How to notify

Contact the environmental health officer at your local council for a notification form.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 December 2022

Provided by:
Department for Health and Wellbeing
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023