Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Works approval - environment

A business that constructs or alters a building or structure intended for an activity licensed by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) may be required to obtain a works approval.

Who should apply

New works approval

Any business establishing an activity that does not require development approval may be required to obtain an EPA works approval before applying for a licence.

The new works approval application is similar to a development application. It consists of an environmental assessment carried out for the EPA before it considers a licence application.

Licence exemption

A business or person undertaking an activity that will generate excessive pollution may require an EPA exemption. Pollution includes noise, dust, smoke, odour, water, waste or stormwater.

Exemptions are a form of environmental authorisation. The proposed activity is assessed in terms of the risk of potential harm to the environment and human health.

How to apply

1. Application form

New works approval

Exemption application

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application with the EPA, along with the specified fee. EPA address details and fees are contained in each application form.



Approvals and exemptions can be renewed.

Renew your licence or exemption online

or download and complete the application form:

Renew works approval

Renew exemption

Related information

Other websites


Was this page useful?

Page last updated 28 September 2017

Provided by:
Department for Environment and Water
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020