Employment agent licence

You must be licensed as an employment agent to carry on the business of either:

  • finding workers for employers
  • finding work for people seeking employment.

Who should apply

Anyone wishing to operate as an employment agent must first apply for a licence. An application may only be made by an individual or a body corporate (company).

Employment agent does not include:

  • a charitable, not-for-profit organisation
  • an organisation administering a group training scheme for apprentices or trainees
  • an organisation operating a labour hire business.

A manager, resident in South Australia, must be nominated if the applicant is a company or is based outside South Australia.

Before you begin

Character references and a statutory declaration that the applicant, or manager, has not been convicted of any criminal offence in the past 10 years must be provided with the application.

An advertisement must be placed in the public notices of a statewide newspaper stating that the applicant intends to apply for an employment agent's licence and that any person may object in writing to the licence being issued within 10 days.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download an application form for a licence from the SafeWork SA website. Complete, sign and date the form.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application with SafeWork SA, along with any supporting documents indicated in your application.

SafeWork SA contact details


Licences must be renewed every two years.

If your licence has expired, you need to apply for a new one.

Contact SafeWork SA on 1300 365 255 for further information.

Related information


Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 17 November 2022

Provided by:
Department for Trade and Investment
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023