Pest control licence
Anyone carrying out pest control work for a fee or reward must hold an appropriate licence.
Carrying out work without a licence can result in fines of up to $5,000.
Pest management technician's licence
To be eligible for a full pest management technician's licence you must hold the appropriate qualifications.
If you don't hold the necessary qualifications you may be eligible to apply for a limited pest management technician's licence. The limited licence requires you to:
- work only under the direct supervision (within sight and sound) of a fully licensed person
- not to give advice or make recommendations about the use of pesticides
- commence the appropriate training courses as soon as possible from the date the licence is issued
- have successfully completed all required training courses within a maximum period of two years.
Pest controller's licence
A pest controller's licence is required to operate a pest control business. All pest management technicians must work under a pest controller's licence, either their own or their employer's. To be eligible for a pest controller's licence, you need to meet these criteria:
- hold a full pest management technician's licence or employ someone who does
- have adequate knowledge of all relevant regulations and of the practices that should be followed in the conduct of a pest control business
- have the appropriate equipment to carry out the work.
Pest control licences are not needed if the activities being undertaken:
- involve (only) applying glyphosate using hand-held equipment of a capacity of 15 litres or less
- are only on your property
- have been formally exempted from the requirement to hold a licence.
A pest controller's licence and a full pest management technician's licence may be issued or renewed for one year or three years. Licence renewal forms are sent out a few weeks before the licence expiry date.
A limited pest management technician's licence is valid for one year and can be renewed only once, for one year.
If you hold a limited licence and have the necessary qualifications for a full technician's licence you can apply to upgrade.
Upgrade application form - SA Health