Recognition of interstate and overseas work licences

Workers and contractors with licences from interstate or New Zealand (NZ) can apply for the same type of South Australian licence. Only individuals (not companies) with equivalent occupations can apply for mutual recognition. Check the licence recognition website for details.

Licences from other countries are not recognised, but you may be able to have overseas qualifications and experience assessed to help you get a South Australian licence.

Interstate and NZ licence holders

You can apply if:

  • your interstate or NZ licence is current
  • your licence isn’t suspended and has no conditions due to criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings - including if you are being investigated.

Before you begin

You'll need to include a copy of your current licence with your application - showing the front and back if it’s a licence card.

How to apply

Select an occupational field from the list below to find the appropriate South Australian licence.

Please note that some requirements only apply to new licence applications. Mutual recognition requirements will be outlined once you start the appropriate online application.

For most licences, you'll need to have your photo taken and undergo an ID check before being issued with a licence card.

Overseas plumbers, gas fitters and electricians

People with plumbing, gas fitting and electrical licences from a country other than Australia or NZ may be able to have some of their skills recognised in South Australia. Licences are generally issued with a restriction to work under supervision until further training is completed.

Before you begin

Overseas trained plumbers, gas fitters and electrical workers may apply for an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) which is an assessment of your overseas qualifications and experience.

Only certain approved Registered Training Organisations (RTO) can issue an OTSR. Any additional units of competency that need to be completed will be listed on the certificate.

You must provide a copy of the OTSR certificate when applying for a restricted licence.

Find an approved RTO - Trades Recognition Australia

Restrictions for overseas licence holders

When you receive a restricted licence, you can work if someone supervises you. Once you finish any study you need to do for an Australian licence (read your OTSR for details) you can apply to have the restriction removed.

Contact CBS licensing


Phone131 882 and press 4

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 30 April 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021