Asbestos removal licence

Asbestos removal licences aim to protect workers from asbestos exposure and enforce safe removal practices to protect building occupants and others at the workplace.

Two licences cover the different levels of risk involved in asbestos removal work:

  • Asbestos removal licence – class A (unlimited).
  • Asbestos removal licence – class B (limited).

Who should apply

A business intending to remove any form of asbestos material (friable and non-friable) must apply for a class A (unlimited) licence.

A business intending to remove only asbestos-cement products (eg fibro) and other non-friable asbestos-containing material - eg floor tiles - must apply for a class B (limited) licence.

The class B (limited) licence does not cover the removal of asbestos-backed vinyl floor coverings and other friable asbestos products. These products require a class A (unlimited) licence.

Friable means easily crumbled or reduced to powder.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download an application form from the SafeWork SA website.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application with SafeWork SA, along with the specified fees and supporting documents indicated in the form. The form contains the required fees and the address for lodgement.

Notifying asbestos removal jobs

Once you are licensed, you must notify SafeWork SA at least 5 days before every asbestos removal job, using the SafeWork SA online portal.

Notify now

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed every five years.

Contact SafeWork SA

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 7 February 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023