The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) administers the national service.
All business names previously registered in South Australia were automatically transitioned to the new national register in 2012.
Once you register your business name through ASIC it can be used anywhere in Australia.
Who can use the service
This service is available to any person or any business to register a business name.
The national register enables businesses to:
- search online to ensure their proposed name is not in use
- apply online
- renew online
- receive immediate confirmation of registration
- save time in registering
- pay reduced fees.
The two most common tasks when starting a business are:
- register a national business name
- register an Australian Business Number (ABN).
To help new businesses, the national service provides a linked process for registering both.
Before you begin
To register a business name you'll need:
- the business name you wish to register
- the type of business entity you will operate under - sole trader, partnership, company
- your Australian business number (ABN) or ABN application reference number.
Register your business name
Register now with the Business Registration Service