Marine radio equipment requirements
HF radio location on the vessel
Install the radio in as high a position as possible, with protection from saltwater and extremes of temperature. It must not be positioned where it may affect the vessel’s compasses or other navigational equipment.
The following documents should be onboard a vessel:
- ship station licence
- operator’s certificate
- the Marine Radio Operator’s Handbook
- a radio log book.
Radio log book procedure
Commercial vessels with a certificate of survey have an obligation to maintain a record of all distress alerts and messages transmitted or received. Details recorded should include:
- the date and time the call was received
- the frequency that it was received on
- any call sign used
- the name and position of a vessel in distress
- the nature of the distress
- any action taken.
These practices are also recommended for recreational vessels.