Apply for an aquatic activity licence
An aquatic activity licence is needed when:
- an event needs exclusive use of a designated area of a waterway for an aquatic sport or activity - eg regattas and swimming events
- an exemption is required from the Harbors and Navigation Act 1993, the Harbors and Navigation Regulations 2009 or other legislation - eg for the carriage of certain safety equipment.
Applications must be submitted not less than 4 weeks prior to the event. At least 4 weeks notice is required to ensure the licence can be issued prior to the event.
You must include:
- evidence of event-specific public liability insurance of at least $20 million
- evidence of local council support, if available
- a map or diagram of the proposed area.
No fee applies.
What happens next
If your application is approved you'll be issued an aquatic licence at least one week prior to the event. The licence will need to be signed and returned to Marine Safety SA before the start of the event.
If you apply using your mySAGOV account, you can check the status of your application.
Special conditions may apply including:
- speed restrictions
- marker buoys
- safety equipment
- access provisions or restrictions
- duty vessels to advise other water users about the closed area during the event.
If your application is approved, you may be required to place a public notice about the activity in the media, at your expense.