Apply for an aquatic activity licence
Applications must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the event along with all supporting documentation. An aquatic activity licence is required for events where:
- exclusive use of a designated area of waterway is required for an aquatic sport or activity - such as regattas and swimming events
- an exemption is required from the Harbors and Navigation Act 1993 or Harbors and Navigation Regulations 2009 - for example exemption for the carriage of certain safety equipment or other legislation.
No fee applies.
How to apply
1. Event details
You must provide:
- details of activities that you'll be undertaking in your application.
- duty vessels during the event to advise water users not participating in the event about the closed area, particularly if high-speed activity is underway.
You will need to provide evidence of adequate public liability insurance, at least $20 million, to cater for any claim of personal injury or damage to property.
3. Submit application
Complete an online application for an aquatic activity licence.
4. Public notice
If your application is approved, you must place a public notice about the activity, at your expense, in specified media, newspapers or publications.
Special conditions that may also apply include:
- speed restrictions
- marker buoys
- safety equipment
- access provisions or restrictions
- duty vessels.
During your approved aquatic sport or activity duty vessels must be in place to advise other vessels, not participating in the event about passing the closed area. In many cases this could involve a short wait to allow a high speed activity to conclude, so that the safety of all persons and vessels is maintained.
Phone: 1300 183 046