Registering an unregistered vehicle, trailer or motor bike

Before driving a vehicle, trailer or motor bike on the road it must be registered and have compulsory third party insurance.

Unregistered vehicles, trailers or motor bikes are not permitted to be used, or stand on the road and can be detected by traffic cameras.

Before you begin

You will need to provide:

  • your name, address and date of birth
  • your licence or client number
  • name and address of the person you bought the vehicle from
  • vehicle registration (plate) number
  • engine number
  • vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
  • vehicle make, type and year of manufacture.

How to register an unregistered vehicle, trailer or motor bike in your name

1. Application form

Download and complete a MR1 Application for registration and third party insurance 1.9 MB.

You may need to complete and submit a MR80 vehicle supplementary details form 817.9 KB if you are applying to register or modify:

  • a vehicle that has an unladen mass of 2000 kg or more
  • a vehicle or trailer with a GVM/GTM exceeding 4500 kg.

2. Lodgement

Return the completed application to a Service SA customer service centre.

If you live more than 100 kilometres from a Service SA customer service centre you can lodge and pay for the initial registration at your nearest police station (except for residents of Ceduna, Coober Pedy and Kingscote who can go to Australia Post).

The fee to register your vehicle, trailer or motor bike can be calculated by using the EzyReg general fee enquiry.

After you pay the fee a registration details certificate will be issued to you or sent in the mail.

Detecting unregistered vehicles, trailers or motor bikes

Traffic cameras are used to detect unregistered vehicles, trailers or motor bikes to ensure that everyone contributes towards ongoing road maintenance and upgrades and has compulsory third party insurance – all funded when paying your registration fee.

Fines for unregistered and uninsured vehicles, trailers and motor bikes apply. To ensure you are not caught out unintentionally:

Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin?

The question 'are you of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin' is a routine question that Service SA staff you when register a vehicle in your name for the first time.  

Your answer will be used for road safety statistical analysis and will not be disclosed to any other authorities.

MR1492 Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin? 525.9 KB 

Related information

On this site

Renewing vehicle, trailer or motor bike registration
Applying for seasonal vehicle registration
Short-term unregistered vehicle permit
Registering an interstate vehicle
Historic and left-hand drive vehicles

Page feedback
Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us.

Was this page useful?
How can we make it better?

You can help us improve the website by completing a short survey.

Page last updated: 12th February 2015