Light vehicle owners are now able to pay for their vehicle registration using automated direct debit payments.
Under the payment system, owners of cars, motorbikes, trailers and caravans can enrol for direct debit through an online portal.
How payments are made
Registration payments will be taken from a nominated bank account or credit card, with SMS/email reminders sent before the direct debit is due so customers can ensure sufficient funds are available.
Before you can pay a light vehicle registration using direct debit, the nominated vehicle has to have at least one month of registration remaining at the time of nomination for direct debit.
What happens under the direct debit system
Under the direct debit system:
- You will be able to enrol for direct debit and manage changes to details using an online portal.
- Once enrolled, payments will be taken from the nominated bank account or credit card at monthly intervals.
- You will be able to nominate your car, motorbike, caravan or light trailer as long as it is currently registered and has at least one month's registration remaining.
- SMS/email reminders will be sent before the direct debit to ensure sufficient funds are available.
- Vehicle registration will be renewed for one month with each monthly payment.
- A registration certificate will be made available electronically, through access to the customer portal.
- If the payment fails for any reason, including insufficient funds, a SMS/email will be sent advising that the registration does not expire before payments can be finalised.
- Customers who do not have sufficient funds in the nominated account on two consecutive occasions may be removed from the scheme and advised in writing to use an alternative payment channel.
- Customers whose vehicles become ineligible for registration (for example, due to becoming defected or them having outstanding fines) will also be unable to complete the registration transaction until those matters are rectified.
The direct debit scheme is a key initiative under the government's priority area 'An affordable place to live for everyone'.
The direct debit scheme will help alleviate financial pressures by breaking down registration payments into more manageable monthly payments.
There will be no additional cost to switch from three-monthly to monthly payments.
Apply for direct debit
Direct debit - frequently asked questions
Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us
You can help us improve the website by completing a short survey.