While cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other road users, they are more vulnerable when travelling on the road. Both cyclists and motorists need to consider each other and share the road safely.
Cyclists must obey all road rules - just like motorists - including stopping at stop signs and traffic lights, riding on the left side of the road and giving way to pedestrians on crossings and at intersections.
The Cycling and the Law 1.2 MB booklet provides details about cyclists' legal rights and obligations in South Australia.
Safety tips for cyclists
- Obey the road rules.
- Keep to the left and ride at least one metre clear of the kerb and parked cars.
- Look for people opening car doors in front of you.
- Be seen, during the day wear bright coloured clothing, at night wear light-coloured clothing and use a white front light and red rear light.
- Look for other vehicles at intersections - never assume a driver has seen you.
- Ride predictably in a straight line and signal your intention to turn or change lanes.
- Riding two abreast is legal.
- From 25 October 2015 cyclists of all ages are allowed to ride on footpaths
Safety tips for drivers
- From 25 October 2015 drivers are required to give a minimum of one metre when passing a cyclist where the speed limit is 60 km/h or less or 1.5 metres where the speed limit is over 60 km/h.
- Scan the road for cyclists.
- Look for cyclists when turning or entering an intersection and give way as you would for any other vehicle.
- Before opening your car door look behind and check blind spots for cyclists.
- Do not drive, stop or park in a bicycle lane, you can cross a bicycle lane to turn left, enter private property or park in a parking lane.
- Cyclists can legally ride two abreast - be patient as you approach and overtake only when safe.
- Give cyclists plenty of room - a minimum of one metre clearance when overtaking.
National Bicycle Council education standards and guides
Australian National Cycling Strategy 2011-2016
Cycle Instead: A guide for new and rusty riders 4.0 MB