Programs and support for Aboriginal prisoners and offenders
The Aboriginal Elders visiting program
Visiting elders assist Aboriginal prisoners to re-establish and strengthen their family and community connections before leaving prison. Visits are scheduled on a monthly basis.
The program is available at:
- Adelaide Pre-release Centre
- Adelaide Remand Centre
- Cadell Training Centre
- Mobilong Prison
- Port Augusta Prison
- Yatala Labour Prison.
Community members interested in becoming a visiting elder should be active in their community and already have a relationship with a current visiting elder.
Respect Sista Girls 2 Program
This program aims to empower Aboriginal women to make better life choices, increase self-awareness and self-esteem. It teaches roles and responsibilities and how to fulfill obligations to both the family and the wider Aboriginal community.
Our Way our Choice Program
An Aboriginal wellness program to increase self-awareness and engagement of participants.
Helping Aboriginal prisoners - forums
Forums chaired by the Department for Correctional Services Chief Executive are also held every six weeks at different prisons. The forums focus on ensuring our ongoing commitment that Aboriginal prisoners are given the opportunity to communicate any issues they having or experiencing.
Aboriginal prisoners in the prison that the forum is located can attend. Invitations are provided to the external service providers who work with the relevant prisons.
Aboriginal liaison officers
Aboriginal liaison officers (ALO) help implement the recommendations from the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. They work at designated prison and community corrections centres providing assistance, support and follow-up to Aboriginal prisoners. Officers can also act as point of contact and resource for families of Aboriginal prisoners and offenders, and assist with offenders on home detention and supervised bail.
Aboriginal liaison officer contact details
- Adelaide Remand Centre: 08 8216 3264
- Adelaide Women's Prison/Adelaide Pre-release centre: 08 8343 0136
- Cadell Training Centre: 08 8540 3600 or 08 8226 4223
- Mobilong Prison: 08 8532 8911 or 08 8532 8912
- Mount Gambier Prison: 08 8723 8000 - follow the prompts
- Port Augusta Prison 08 8648 5400 - follow the prompts
- Port Lincoln Prison: 08 8682 0824 or 08 8683 0266
- Yatala Labour Prison: 08 8343 0205 or 08 8343 0208
- North East Community Corrections: 08 8406 3850
- Gawler Correctional Centre: 08 8522 0700
- Elizabeth Community Corrections: 08 8282 7020
Aboriginal Services Unit
GPO Box 1747
Adelaide SA 5001
Email - email@example.com
Phone - 08 8226 4223
Aboriginal Services - Department for Correctional Services