Rare Earths Complex, Whyalla
The development proposal for a Rare Earths Complex by Arafura Resources is situated north of the Whyalla Township and the OneSteel manufacturing site.
Mineral concentrate is to be transported by rail from the Nolans Bore Mine (near Alice Springs) to the Whyalla plant for processing to extract:
- rare earth oxides (mainly for use in electronics manufacturing)
- gypsum (mainly for making plasterboard)
- phosphoric acid (for making fertilizer)
- small amounts of uranium oxide (yellow cake).
The establishment cost of the processing plant is expected to be $1 billion with an operating life of 20 years. A small desalination plant would provide water for processing.
Assessment stages and documentation
|Stage of assessment process||Date||Documentation|
|Declaration as major development||23 September 2010||See notice in Government Gazette|
|Release of guidelines by Development Assessment Commission with level of assessment determined|
|Release of assessment document by proponent for public comment|
|Response by proponent to public and agency comment on assessment document|
|Assessment report by Minister|
- Rare earths complex major development media release
- Assessment process for major developments and how to have your say
For an alternative version of these documents see Planning contacts