Morphettville Racecourse amendment
The Morphettville Racecourse Development Plan Amendment (DPA) was on public consultation from 5 September 2017 to 3 November 2017 and is currently under consideration by the Minister for Planning.
Purpose of the amendment
The Minister is proposing to amend the Development Plans of Marion and West Torrens councils to enable new land uses on surplus racecourse land at Morphettville.
The proposed policy change will enable a medium to high density housing and mixed use precinct to be developed on parts of the racecourse land including land identified by the South Australian Jockey Club (SAJC) as surplus to their needs. The DPA also affects land fronting Anzac Highway between (and including) the Junction Bar and Bistro and Morphett Road, as well as land west of Morphett Road containing tram barns, residences and commercial activities
The inner metropolitan location offers great access to transport and will cater for a range of activities and medium to high density housing options.
The purpose of the DPA is to provide a zoning framework that facilitates the creation of a new inner urban mixed use neighbourhood integrated with a new permanent tram stop and upgraded racing facilities.
Changes are proposed in the Marion and West Torrens council Development Plans as follows:
Marion Council Development Plan
- Rezone part of the Morphettville (Racecourse) Zone that affects land immediately north of the racecourse (surplus to SAJC) to a new Urban Core Zone to support medium to high density mixed use and residential development.
- Introduce the Urban Core Zone to land west of Morphett Road from Residential Zone to Urban Core Zone.
- Rezone the Commercial Zone west of Morphett Road to Industry Zone – Infrastructure Policy Area to reflect the role of the land for tram storage and maintenance.
West Torrens Council Development Plan
- Rezone the existing Commercial Zone land located between the Glenelg tram line and Anzac Highway to Urban Core Zone to support medium to high density mixed use and residential development.
Area affected by the amendment
The community information sheet included a map of the site and also provided details about the proposed amendment and the amendment process.
The development plans affected are:
Viewing the amendment
There are three ways to view the proposed amendment:
1. Download the Morphettville Racecourse Development Plan Amendment document
2. View a copy at:
- City of West Torrens
165 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton
Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm
- City of Marion
245 Sturt Road, Sturt
Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
- Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Level 5, 50 Flinders Street Square, Adelaide
Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
3. Ask the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure to post the document to you.
Consultation on Ministerial DPAs is conducted by the State Planning Commission (SPC), established to act as the state’s principal planning advisory and development assessment body to provide advice to the Minister for Planning.
A drop-in information sessions was held on 7 October 2017. The period for receiving written public submissions closed on 3 November 2017, followed by a public meeting held on 15 November 2017.
On this site
For an alternative version of a document on this page contact Development plans and amendments team.