Leaving your public housing home temporarily
If you're going to be away from home, tell Housing SA as soon as possible.
You should tell Housing SA:
- how long you'll be away for
- the date you plan to leave and the date you plan to return
- your contact details while you're away
- the name and contact details of someone you trust – eg family member, who can be contacted if there is an emergency.
While you're away, you're responsible for meeting all the conditions of your lease agreement, including paying rent and telling Housing SA if there's a change in your household or household income.
Organising a caretaker
If you are going to be away for up to three months, you may be eligible to organise a caretaker to look after your home until you return. It should be someone you can trust to look after your home.
You must get approval from Housing SA before a caretaker can move in.
If your caretaker's approved, rent is still based on your household income, not the caretaker's. The caretaker:
- can stay in the property up until the date you return
- won't be able to take over the tenancy at any time
- can't let other people move in without Housing SA's written approval
- must leave the property immediately at Housing SA's request.
You must meet all of the conditions below to be eligible to apply for a caretaker:
- you have either a five or ten year fixed term lease agreement or an ongoing lease agreement
- you don't have an unarranged debt to Housing SA
- you tell Housing SA how to contact you while you're away
- Housing SA isn't taking any action to end your tenancy
- you'll be back at the property before your lease agreement ends.
The person you want to act as caretaker must meet all of the below conditions:
- they don't have an unarranged debt to Housing SA
- they aren't excluded from Housing SA's services - eg because of disruptive behaviour
- it won't breach the conditions of an intervention order if they live in the property
- they provide proof of their identity to Housing SA.
Apply for approval
You will need to apply to Housing SA for approval before you leave or allow your caretaker to move in.
To apply for approval:
- complete and sign an application for a caretaker form
- provide a copy of the caretaker's proof of identity
- Return these forms to Housing SA.
If you want your caretaker to be able to discuss aspects of your tenancy with Housing SA, complete and return a permission to release information to a third party form to Housing SA.