Proof of income, identity and rent
Your proof of income must be less than two weeks old unless you are providing a tax return as proof of your income. Ensure tax file numbers are removed from all documents you provide to Housing SA.
Proof of income
If you receive pensions, allowances or other payments from a government agency you must provide one of these documents:
- an income statement from the government agency or department - eg Centrelink, the Department of Veterans' Affairs, that shows your pension or allowance payments
- a statement from WorkCover SA confirming your current income maintenance payments.
If you are receiving an income from Centrelink you can choose to have your income details provided electronically from Centrelink directly to your housing provider through the Income Confirmation Service. This is a free and voluntary service. Complete and return the consent form to your housing provider.
To cancel the service, complete and return a withdrawal of consent form to your housing provider.
Receiving a wage
If you are employed you must provide one of these documents:
- an employer's declaration form completed and signed by your employer
- a payslip for the latest pay period that shows your gross wage, any regular overtime or year to date salary
- a letter from your employer that shows your gross wage, any regular overtime or year to date salary.
Provide a copy of your most recent tax return showing your net business income (gross income minus expenses). You should delete or obscure your tax file number.
If you have a new business and haven't lodged your first tax return, provide one of these documents:
- a statutory declaration form estimating your annual net business income
- a letter from a certified practising accountant or registered tax consultant showing your personal gross weekly or annual income.
Provide a statement or letter from your bank, building society, credit union or financial institution showing the interest amount and period covered or the balance of the account and the interest rate payable.
If your parents provide you with financial support, provide a statutory declaration form from them that shows:
- weekly or monthly amount they provide you with
- value of any other forms of support they provide - eg they pay half your current rent.
Proof of identity
When applying for help paying bond or rent
If you are applying for help paying bond or rent, you need to provide 100 points of identity.
For any other Housing SA service
Your proof of identity must be valid.
You can either provide one form of photographic identity, or two forms of written identity.
- driver's license or learner's permit
- proof of age card
- student or employment identity card.
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- divorce papers
- Medicare card
- Centrelink concession or health card
- State Government concessions card
- a current passbook, access, credit or debit card from your banking institution
- letter confirming your identity from your employer, a Department for Child Protection worker, a medical or legal practitioner, or a minister of religion
- apprenticeship papers or trades-person's certificate
- prison discharge certificate
- life insurance policies
- any other forms of identity that show your name, address and signature.
You may be asked to provide additional proof of your identity if there is some doubt.
Proof of rent
If you are applying for help paying bond or rent, and have found a place you want to rent, you will need to provide proof of rent.
You can provide either of these:
- a Property owners’ declaration form completed by the property owner or agent that is no more than two weeks old
- a current lease agreement no more than two weeks old.
Housing SA may contact the property owner or agent to verify information about the tenancy - eg the tenancy start date, rent payable.