Proof of income, identity and rent
Your proof of income must be less than two weeks old unless you are providing a tax return as proof of your income.
Proof of income
Income from Centrelink or other government agencies
If you receive a pension, allowance or other payment from a government agency, provide one of the following:
- an income statement from the agency or department showing your pension or allowance payments
- a statement from WorkCover SA confirming your current income maintenance payments.
Your proof of income must be less than two weeks old unless you are providing a tax return as proof of your income. Remove tax file numbers from all documents you provide to Housing SA.
Centrelink Income Confirmation Service
If you receive an income from Centrelink, you can have your income details provided electronically from Centrelink to your housing provider through the Income Confirmation Service (ICS). This is a free and voluntary service.
If you consent to ICS, you don’t need to provide any proof of other income - eg payslips, printed income statements, provided all forms of income you receive are shown on your Centrelink statement.
If you get another form of income that isn’t shown on your Centrelink statement, you’ll still need to provide proof of that income.
If you're a tenant of either public and community housing or registering your interest, complete an ICS consent form and return it to your housing provider.
This service remains in place until you cancel it. You can cancel it at any time by completing a Withdrawal of ICS consent form and returning it to your housing provider.
If you're applying for help paying bond and rent, you can give your consent when applying online through PR Connect or complete a private rental ICS form.
This service remains in place for 14 weeks while your application for bond and rent is active.
Receiving a wage
If you’re employed, provide one of the below documents:
- an employer’s declaration form completed and signed by your employer
- a payslip for the latest pay period showing your total wage before tax, any regular overtime and year-to-date salary
- a letter from your employer showing your total wage before tax, any regular overtime and year-to-date salary.
Provide a copy of your most recent tax return showing your net business income (total income before tax minus expenses). Remove tax file numbers from all documents.
If you have a new business and haven’t lodged your first tax return, provide one of the below documents:
- a statutory declaration estimating your annual net business income
- a letter from a certified practising accountant or registered tax consultant showing your personal total weekly or annual income before tax.
Provide a statement or letter from your financial institution showing the interest amount and the period covered, or the balance of the account and the interest rate payable.
If your parents provide you with financial support, provide a statutory declaration from them showing:
- the weekly or monthly amount they provide you with
- the value of any other forms of support they provide - eg pay your half of the rent.
Proof of identity
You may be asked to provide additional proof of your identity if there’s some doubt.
When applying for help paying bond or rent
If you're applying for help paying bond or rent, you need to provide 100 points of identity.
For any other Housing SA service
Your proof of identity must be valid.
You can provide either:
- one form or photographic identity
- two forms of written identity.
Acceptable forms of photographic identity:
- driver’s license or learner’s permit
- proof of age card
- student or employment identity card.
Acceptable forms of written identity:
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- divorce papers
- Medicare card
- Centrelink concession or healthcare card
- state government concession card
- a current passbook, access, credit or debit card from your financial institution
- a letter confirming your identity from your employer, a Department for Child Protection worker, a medical or legal practitioner, or a minister of religion
- apprenticeship papers or tradesperson’s certificate
- prison discharge certificate
- life insurance policies
- any other form of identity that shows your name, address and signature.
Proof of rent
If you’re applying for help paying bond and rent, and you've found a place you want to rent, you’ll need to provide either:
- a property owners declaration form completed by the property owner or agent that's no more than two weeks old
- a current lease agreement no more than two weeks old.
- Housing SA may contact the property owner or agent to verify information about the tenancy - eg start date, rent payable.