Objecting to a property valuation

If you believe that the valuation of your property is wrong you can lodge an objection in writing with the State Valuation Office. There is no fee for lodging an objection. Complete an objection form within 60 days of when the first rates notice was served for the financial year from any of the relevant statutory authorities.

Along with your objection form you will also need to include:

  • the address of the property whose value you are objecting to 
  • your contact details 
  • information about the condition of any improvements on the property 
  • any recent market evidence supporting your objection, relevant to the date of valuation as of 1 January each year.

If you experience difficulties submitting an electronic form or have not received an automated reply, please email your objection to or for an alternative version of an objection form contact the State Valuation Office.

Due to compatibility issues Land Services does not recommend the use of mobile phones or tablets to lodge objection forms online. 

Residential properties

Three ways to object to the valuation of a residential property:

Commercial and industrial properties

Three ways to object to the valuation of a commercial or industrial property:

The site value

Two ways to object to the valuation of the site value:

Horticultural properties

Three ways to object to the valuation of a horticultural property:

Agricultural and pastoral properties

Three ways to object to the valuation of an agricultural or pastoral property:

Your objection will be considered by the State Valuation Office and you will be notified in writing of the decision.

Independent valuation reviews/South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)

If you are dissatisfied with this objection decision, there are two ways to have the valuation reviewed: 

  • by a valuer
  • by the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT).

Review by valuer

Following an objection decision; you can apply for a review of the valuation by a listed independent valuer.  To apply for this option, in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act 1971, you are required to lodge a review application form 26.2 KBand the relevant fee with the Registrar, Valuation Review Panel within twenty one (21) days of receipt of notice of the Valuer-General's objection decision. 

Please note the Valuer-General has no discretion to extend the twenty one (21) day timeframe and it is strictly adhered to regardless of circumstances.

The prescribed review application form is also available from the State Valuation Office and a separate application form and fee is required for the review of each value that is sought.

A fee applies for a review application against each valuation based on the following criteria:

  • property used solely as principal place of residence
  • all other properties - eg business, vacant land, rural.

The fee can be paid by:

  • cash if you are lodging the application over the Land Services counter
  • credit card
  • cheque or money order (payable to Land Services).

If the independent valuer determines that the value should be altered by an amount greater than 10% of the Valuer-General's value then that value will be adopted and the application fee refunded.

Please note that the Review Valuer can only consider questions of fact and must not involve questions of law in their valuation determination.

If you are dissatisfied with the Review Valuer's decision, you may apply to SACAT.

Review by SACAT

Directly following an objection decision, or after the decision of the Review Valuer made under option one above, you can apply for a further review of the valuation by The South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. 

To apply for this process, in accordance with the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2013, you are required to lodge an application within twenty one (21) days of receipt of the objection decision, or within twenty one (21) days after the decision notice of the valuation review made under option one above.  In certain circumstances SACAT may consider extending this twenty one (21) day period.
The SACAT review application form is available online at

There is a fee for each application which applies to all property types. 

For each of the review options it is important to note that the Review Valuer or SACAT can reduce, maintain or increase the value of the property in question and the Valuer-General is bound by this decision.  In the case of the Review by Valuer, the Valuer-General has the right to seek subsequent review of this decision through an application to SACAT.

For further information on objecting to a property value or lodging an application for review, please call 1300 653 345.  For further information relating to an application to SACAT, please call 1800 723 767. 

Related information

On this site

Property valuations
Land services industy entry point
Property Location Browser 

Other websites

Revenue SA
SA Water
Find your local council


Valuation review panels by suburb and postcode 199.7 KB
Valuation review panels fact sheet 129.2 KB
Valuation review panels by town 134.4 KB
Valuation review panels index to panels and State Government regions 140.2 KB

Valuations South Australian Government regions 512.9 KB

For an alternative version of these documents contact Land Services.


Valuation of Land Act 1971
Valuation of Land Regulations 2005South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2013

Page feedback
Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us.

Was this page useful?
How can we make it better?

You can help us improve the website by completing a short survey.

Page last updated: 1st September 2015