Some disabilities become more common as we age, affecting our eyesight, hearing and ability to move around.
Regular daily tasks, such as bathing, dressing and preparing meals may become more difficult to perform. If you need some assistance, see Help at home.
Neurological illness such as dementia can cause confusion, memory loss and disorientation, and the reduced ability to finish thoughts or follow directions. For some people, dementia may also be combined with decreased mobility, loss of balance and problems with coordination.
For those living with a person who has dementia it can be a confusing and scary time. However, there are some simple ideas that can help make the home a safer environment.
Health Direct Australia provides information about eye health.
Royal Society for the Blind is the leading organisation providing services to South Australians who have severe vision impairment. The RSB's Low Vision Centre offers information, advice and low vision aids.
Blind Welfare Association provides support to South Australia's vision impaired through residential accommodation, financial support through loans and subsidies, in home support and centre-based activities.
Guide Dogs SA/NT provides free services for people with a sensory loss, delivered by qualified professionals.
You may be eligible for cheaper spectacles or contact lenses if you hold a Pensioner Concession Card, or have held a Health Care Card continuously for at least 12 months.
Deaf CanDo provides information about deafness, deaf culture, the deaf community, hearing loss, technical devices and communication modes employed by deaf persons and others with hearing loss.
- Cancer Council SA provides information and support for people affected by cancer
- Heart Foundation improves health by providing information and assisting people with cardiovascuar disease
- Lung Foundation Australia provides information about lung and respiratory disease
- Parkinson's Australia is the peak body representing the state and territory organisations, providing information about Parkinson's
- Senior's health - Health Direct