Equipment and home modifications
Equipment and home modifications support people to remain at home and as independently as possible.
How to apply
Contact My Aged Care:
- Phone 1800 200 422
- My Aged Care website.
You may be eligible to receive services through Domiciliary Care if you are:
- an existing Domiciliary Care client
- aged under 65 years (under 50 if an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander) and not eligible for Disability Services.
Contact Domiciliary Care Access Service:
- Phone: 1300 295 673
- Email: DCSIDomCareFeedback@sa.gov.au.
Other ways to access equipment
If you are in hospital and need equipment support to get home, speak with your doctor or nurse about your options.
Many items that DES can provide can be seen on the DES Catalogue or you can call 1300 295 786 to enquire. Weekly rental charges (including a once-off delivery charge) apply for this service.
Lifetime Support Scheme
The Lifetime Support Scheme provides treatment, care and support for people who have sustained very serious injuries in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault. For more information visit the Lifetime Support Authority web page.
Independent Living Centre
The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides free information and advice about equipment, technology and techniques to help you maintain your independence.
The ILC also provides a mobile service to country areas.
The ILC does not sell equipment but can give you information about suppliers and their prices.
DHS Equipment Services
If you have a disability or are older and need support to live at home and get about in the community as safely and independently as possible, you may be eligible for equipment and home modification services through the Department of Human Services (DHS) Equipment Services.
DHS Equipment Services are provided to clients of Disability SA, Disability and Domiciliary Care Services, Novita Children’s Services and Minda Incorporated.
How to obtain equipment or home modifications
Contact one of these:
- If you are an existing Domiciliary Care client or under 65 years of age (under 50 if Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander), and not eligible for Disability Services - phone Domiciliary Care Access Service on 1300 295 673.
- If you are an existing client or enquiring about eligibility for Disability SA - phone the Disability and Information Referral Team on 1300 786 117.
- If you are an existing client of or are not yet eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) - phone Novita Children’s Services on 1300 668 482.
A qualified health professional will assess your needs and eligibility for the DHS Equipment Services, and help you to understand what you may require.
Once your equipment or home modification has been approved, Domiciliary Equipment Service (DES) will supply and manage your equipment or home modification.
If you have loan equipment from DHS Equipment Services, DES provides a repair service for those items. Please remember that you are responsible for the care and cleaning of your equipment whilst you have it.
Please contact DES immediately on 1300 130 302 to report any damaged equipment, so that it can be repaired or exchanged.
For more information on DES services, visit www.des.sa.gov.au.
Essential medical equipment concessions
You may be eligible for a subsidy to assist with costs of running essential medical equipment.
The concession finder will help you see what's available and if you are eligible.