Marketing a community organisation
Through good marketing you can build positive awareness of your organisation and the work you do.
Some of the different methods you can use to market your organisation include:
- Online - using the internet to work online can be a quick, easy and effective way of letting others know about your community organisation and its events through blogs, websites, social networking and online forums.
- Print - through dialogue and regular contact with the news editor or journalists from your local newspaper, your community organisation can enlist their help to publicise activities and events.
- Customer focused - you can use a variety of marketing activities such as loyalty programs, thank-you cards, customer appreciation events and free gifts to build long-lasting relationships with your customers.
- Radio and television - can help to extend your community organisation's reach to a wider audience. Your event or story can initially be pitched through a media release, by phone or email to a news editor or journalist.
- Banners - are a cost effective way of promoting a community organisation or event. They are generally eye-catching and placed in strategic locations to draw people's attention to them. Permission should be sought from the local council or a landowner if, for example, they are to be placed in a public park or a shopping centre.
- Poster or flyers - are easy to design and distribute. They may include:
- branding or logos associated with the organisation
- a brief description of your main message
- the location of the venue
- the organisation's contact details or website.
- Benefits of marketing help sheets - Our Community
- basic steps to develop an effective marketing plan - Our Community
- Marketing, Media and Post Centre resource information - how to develop and spread the message to the wider community developed by Our Community in partnership with Australia Post
- Media guide - to help community organisations engage with the media - The Office for Volunteers
- Local Government Media Centre - where news events and media releases from various councils can be found - Local Government Association.
- Sustainable Online Community Engagement - helps community organisations promote themselves to the broader community, offering free websites and print materials such as brochures, DVDs and other promotions to community groups.
- Community Voices grant program - community organisations work closely with students from the Screen Studies Department at Flinders University to develop television commercials or short films for promotional and marketing purposes.
- Australian Government grants are available annually for volunteer-related activities that may include marketing initiatives. All applications are assessed on their merits and potential benefits.