Births, deaths and marriages

Early loss of pregnancy certificates

Parents can apply for a certificate to commemorate an early loss of pregnancy if the delivery isn't able to be registered under the Birth, Death and Marriage Act 1996.

  • less than 20 weeks' gestation - a letter from your doctor or midwife needs to be included when you apply (this letter can also be used to arrange burial or cremation).
  • more than 20 weeks gestation and isn't able to be registered under the Act - your doctor will have lodged a medical certificate with Consumer and Business Services (CBS) and a letter isn't needed when you apply.

How to apply

1. Application form

Choose a certificate design, then complete and sign the form - Apply for an early loss of pregnancy certificate.

2. Lodgement

Take your application to the CBS customer service centre or post it to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

There is no charge for a commemorative certificate for an early loss of pregnancy.

The processing time for a certificate is normally about five weeks.

Certificate designs

You can choose either:

  • commemorative certificate only
  • standard plus a commemorative certificate.
early loss blueearly loss pink
early loss standard early loss twin bears 

Related information


Contact CBS

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages


131 882

In person

91 Grenfell Street


GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 13 January 2017

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016