Energy bills, help and rebates

Energy concessions

A number of concessions are available to help households with the cost of energy bills.

You can use the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion’s (DCSI) Concession Finder to see if you are eligible for a concession. Alternatively, if the combined income of your household meets the low income provisions in the Australian Tax Office’s low income earners category, you may also be eligible for a concession. Contact the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or email for more information.

Find out more about the Government of South Australia’s:

If you need help with the additional costs of running essential medical equipment or medically required heating and cooling, you may be eligible for the Australian Government’s essential medical equipment payment.

Moving concessions when switching energy retailers or moving house

If you receive a concession and you switch energy retailers or move house, you need to provide your new address details to the departments who coordinate your concessions to ensure you continue receiving them.

  1. First, advise Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs by calling 136 240, visiting a Centrelink service centre, via your myGov account or using the Express Plus mobile app.
  2. Once details are updated with Centrelink, advise the DCSI Concessions Hotline by calling 1800 307 758 or emailing

Your energy retailer may offer to transfer your concession for you. Be aware that energy retailers can’t do this in South Australia, so you will still need to follow the steps above.

If you receive the energy bill concession from DCSI and switch energy retailers or move house, the first new electricity bill you receive will not have the energy concession applied to it. Once you have a copy of the first bill, you need to call DCSI’s Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 and tell them:

  • the new account number
  • national meter identifier (NMI) number
  • billing dates from the new bill.

The energy concession will then appear on your next bill and any amounts owed to you will be backdated.

Related information

On this site

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 26 May 2017

Provided by:
Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016