Energy bill concessions

To help with the cost of energy bills a state government concession is available to eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes.

The energy concession is to cover both electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas) for up to $215 per year.


The address you are claiming the concession for must be your principal place of residence and your name must appear on the electricity bill. If your electricity account is in joint names, the name of the person claiming the concession must appear first on the electricity bill. If that person's name isn't first, ring the retailer and ask them to change it.

You must not be living with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year, unless they get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs or they are your spouse, domestic partner or dependent.

You may be eligible if you have one of the following cards:

  • a Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card


You receive one of the following Centrelink payments:

  • Newstart allowance
  • Sickness allowance
  • Widow allowance
  • Youth allowance
  • Partner allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special benefit
  • Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand

Residential park

If you live in a residential park you may be eligible for a combined concession for your energy, water, sewerage and energy. For more information please select the Residential Park Scheme option in the Concessions Finder.

I don't get a bill from an energy retailer

If you don't get an energy bill from an energy retailer, or your home doesn't have an electricity meter (for example you generate your own electricity), you need to supply copies of receipts for energy costs, such as LPG receipts when you first apply for the concession. You will receive your concession by electronic funds transfer.

How to apply

Apply online or print a concessions application form 249.5 KB.Complete the application, sign and post (no postage stamp required) to:

Reply Paid 292
SA 5001

If you are also eligible for concessions on water and sewerage bills you can use the same form to apply. If your application is approved, your electricity account will be automatically credited with the concession amount, which covers concessions for both electricity and gas.

Please note: If you are the holder of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or a Low Income Health Care Card, you will need to send in a copy of your card with your application.

Changing retailers

If you're changing energy retailers, contact the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or email with your new account number and new energy retailer details to ensure you continue to receive your energy concession.You should do this when you receive the first account from your new energy retailer.

The concession for the first quarter's energy account will be applied to your next account.

Change of address

If you are moving house inform Centrelink and Concessions Hotline of your new address to ensure you continue to receive the concession on your energy bill.

Medical heating and cooling concession

On 1 January 2012, the South Australian Government introduced the Medical Heating and Cooling Concession. This energy concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe worsening of their condition.It is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.


Telephone the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, please use our text telephone service on TTY: 8226 6789

Translating and interpreting

To arrange for an interpreter or translator please call Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450.


Use the Concessions Finder to find out about other concessions you may be eligible to receive and for information about how to apply.

Are you Eligible for a Concession 338.5 KB brochure

Alternative version of documents

Many documents are displayed as PDF files.

If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.


Related information

On this site

Back to Concession Finder
Self-funded retiree information

Other sites

Apply for energy, water and sewerage concessions online

Page feedback

Was this page useful?
What did you like about it?
How can we make it better?

We cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

You can also help us improve the website by completing a short survey.

Page last updated: 4 November 2016