2016 events

Extreme weather events - Sept and Oct 2016

Heavy rain and strong winds across South Australia in late September and early October 2016 caused flooding in and around creek and river catchments. A large number of homes and businesses were affected.

Recovery hotline

Call 1800 302 787 if you have been affected by the weather and need information about recovery services and support.

The hotline is open Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm.

Recovery centre

The Northern Adelaide Plains recovery centre is open for assistance and advice.

A fact sheet about the recovery centre is available in English, Vietnamese and Khmer.

The recovery centre is located at:

Virginia Horticultural Centre
Old Port Wakefield Road
Phone - 0484 327 667

Open Monday to Friday 8.45 am to 5.00 pm (closed on public holidays).

Emotional recovery

Look after your mental health and emotional recovery when dealing with damaged homes or properties.

Loss of power grant

Applications for this grant have closed.

All applicants have been advised of their outcome and further applications are not being accepted.

Email dcsiemergencypowergrants@sa.gov.au to make contact about the grant.

Waste disposal

The state government has waived the waste levy to assist communities with the cost of waste disposal for flood-affected waste from the storms.

Dumping waste into landfill has two cost components - gate cost and waste levy. The gate cost is the charge imposed by private landfill operators to receive waste.

People who registered their names in the relief centres and were issued a 'temporary incident card' can have the waste levy waived at their local waste disposal depot.

For more information, visit the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) website or phone 8204 2004.

For information about local waste disposal phone or visit your local council website.

Assistance for primary producers

Primary producers who have been impacted by the floods and need assistance can contact the Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) assessment hotline on 8207 7847. More flood and storm related information for primary producers is available on the PIRSA website.

Related information

Other websites

SA Recovery on Facebook - Department for Communities and Social Inclusion

Was this page useful?

We can't respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

Page last updated 11 May 2017

Provided by:
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016