Choosing a school

Enrolling in high school

Parents who want their child to attend a specific South Australian public high school need to register their interest during year 7.

If you’ve missed the year 7 to 8 transition process, contact your local secondary school or another school directly. Please read the information on choosing a high school and school zones before registering your interest.

Registering interest to attend a specific high school

Register your interest in your child attending a particular public high school by submitting the registration of interest in a year 8 placement (ED176) form. Forms should have been returned to your government primary school or the education department (for non-government school students) by 27 May 2016.

You should have read the starting secondary school in 2017 brochure for families before submitting the form, .

Parents of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students might also be interested in the Enter for Success high school enrolment program.

Registering interest in a non-local school

You can register interest with schools that aren’t local to you. However, popular metropolitan schools might only offer placement for a small number of non-local students. All other non-local applicants will be placed on their waiting lists.

If no places are available your child may be offered at place at their local (zoned) high school.

After submitting your registration

Your child will be considered for placement at each school you register interest in, in order of choice. Most high schools will be able to accommodate all requests for students to attend their school for year 8.

Once your child has been allocated to a high school, the high school will send you a student secondary school acceptance pack in August.

Requesting a review of placement offers

If your child isn’t allocated their first choice non-local school, there is a review process. For an explanation of the process, see the starting secondary school in 2017 brochure for families.

If you do not want your child to go to their allocated school, you can approach other secondary schools directly about enrolment. If there are available spaces, the school may accept your request.

Finalising enrolment

The student secondary school acceptance pack will include an enrolment form. You need to complete the form and provide the school with copies of:

  • proof of the child's identity and date of birth, such as a birth certificate, passport or official Centrelink documentation with the child's name and birth date
  • any family law or other relevant court orders, if applicable
  • proof of residential address.

For help filling out the enrolment form, contact the high school.

Proof of residence

Placement in a school is based on a child’s residential address. Your enrolment must provide evidence of your child’s address.


If you own your home, you must provide:

  • a copy of the contract of sale for the property or a recent council rates notice
  • a recent gas or electricity bill for that property.


If you rent your home, you must provide:

  • a rental agreement and a bond receipt lodged with Consumer and Business Services showing the current place of residence – the rental agreement should cover at least the first 12 months the child will be attending the school
  • a recent gas or electricity bill for that property.

Renting a room or rooms for your child does not constitute a primary place of residence. Families must rent an entire property in order for it to be their primary place of residence.

Children living with a relative or friend

If your child lives with a relative or friend, you must provide proof that the relative/friend is their legal guardian. This must include a parenting order from the Family Court, which states that the relative/friend is the child’s formal full-time carer.

After submitting your child’s enrolment form

Once the school receives your child’s enrolment and satisfactory proof of residence, it will finalise the enrolment application.

Many high schools will ask parents and students to attend a pre-enrolment interview, information sessions and transition days.

Overseas and non-permanent residents

Students who are not permanent residents of Australia may enrol in South Australian government schools, subject to conditions which are determined by their visa sub-class.

Phone International Education Services on 8226 3402 for more information.

Related information

On this site

Getting to school
Choosing a high school
School zones
Changing schools


General enquiries

Phone - 8226 1000
Free call - 1800 088 158
Email -

Contact your primary school or the high school your child is likely to attend about:

  • enrolment
  • parent participation
  • school card
  • school fees
  • school policies
  • school zones
  • student behaviour or student performance.

Year 7 to 8 transition process enquiries

Email -

Other websites

457 visa holders - Department of Education and Child Development

Was this page useful?

What did you like about it?
How can we make it better?
We cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

Page last updated 19 January 2017

Provided by:
Department for Education and Child Development
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016