Apply for trade plates
Who can apply
Trade plates may be issued to:
- people involved in a 'joint ownership'
- companies registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
How to apply
1. Application form
2. Supporting documents
The application must include the primary and secondary supporting documents listed on this page.
3. Lodge the application
Lodge your application at a Service SA customer service centre.
You need to produce:
- at least two primary documents, or
- one primary document and three secondary documents.
You can also apply to the Motor Trade Association for a recommendation to show that you are suitable to hold a trade plate.
- premises / mobile workshop inspection certificate
- letter of membership to the Motor Trade Association
- current RAA approved repair service agreement
- second hand vehicle dealer's certificate
- extract of business registration
- extract of company registration
- confirmation of WorkCover registration.
- entry in the South Australian Yellow Pages
- entry in the South Australian White Pages
- notice of issue of an ABN from the Australian Taxation Office
- certificate of registered business name or company name.
Trade plate sizes
The plate size issued depends on the type of vehicle categories that you nominate.
A motorcycle sized plate will be issued if the only category nominated is motorcycle.
All other vehicle category types and combinations will be issued a general vehicle sized trade plate.
Period of issue
A trade plate may be issued for one, two or three years. A certificate and label will be issued to you when all the requirements are completed.
You may apply for a trade plate to be used on vehicles belonging to one or more of the following categories.
A motor vehicle or trailer that has a gross vehicle mass exceeding 4500kg (excluding a farm implement and farm machine or special purpose vehicle).
The heavy vehicle category does not allow the trade plate to be used for vehicles that belong to the light vehicle category. If you wish to use a trade plate for both types of vehicles, you would need to nominate both categories in your application.
A motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 4500kg (excluding a motorcycle, trailer, farm machine, farm implement and special purpose vehicle).
Any motorcycle regardless of the engine capacity.
A trailer that has a gross trailer mass not exceeding 4500kg (excluding a farm implement, farm machine and special purpose vehicle).
Farm implements and farm machines
Self-propelled farm machines and towed farm implements only.
Special purpose vehicles
Any vehicle not specifically designed for the carriage of passengers or goods including farm implements and farm machines.
It is an offence to use a trade plate on a category of vehicle that is not recorded on the certificate and label that is issued to you.
The Motor Vehicle Regulations 2010 detail the purposes for which a trade plate may be used.