Heavy vehicle permits
NHVR processing all heavy vehicle access permits from Monday 4 December 2017
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) and the Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) have been working collaboratively for the return of heavy vehicle access permit processing to the NHVR.
Operation of B-Doubles to access Thomas Foods International at Lobethal
Conditional B-Double access to Thomas Foods International at Lobethal will be available to heavy vehicle operators via a permit issued by the NHVR. Operators must comply with a range of safety conditions that will remain in place until the Lobethal Freight Access Upgrade project is completed.
Heavy Vehicle Permits
For all permits involving travel within or between South Australia and other Jurisdictions, apply to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator.
You will need to apply for an excess mass export permit if you plan to transport goods in shipping containers that are destined to be exported, where the articulated combination exceeds 42.5 tonnes.
How to apply
To apply for an excess mass export permit, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's Access Management website.
This permit is issued subject to these specific conditions:
- The maximum container length is 12.2 metres.
- Permits are available for periods of three, six, nine or 12 months only.
- The route is restricted between the point of loading the container onto the articulated vehicle in South Australia and the container terminal in South Australia.
- The permit is only available for conventional semi-trailers, not for extendable units or low loaders.
- Council approval is required for travel on any council-owned roads and must be attached to the application.
- Written evidence that the goods are destined for export must be attached to the application.
- Written evidence of export must be carried in the vehicle when operating subject to the permit.
- Permits are for individual prime movers.
- An application form must be lodged for every permit.
- All units on a permit must be listed for excess mass.
- Cooper Basin - Permits for heavy vehicle operation and private road access
- Permit route survey
- Escorting guidelines for oversize and overmass vehicles on roads
The following publications are available from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's publication page (mass, dimension and loading)
- National heavy vehicle general dimension requirements
- Classes of heavy vehicles in the Heavy Vehicle National Law