Heavy vehicles

Driving heavy vehicles safely

Heavy vehicle speed

All parties in the Chain of Responsibility must take some action to comply with the speed Laws.

Some steps that must be taken include:

  • Ensuring work practices do not contribute to or cause on-road breaches
  • Undertaking training to make sure employees understand their obligations within the Chain of Responsibility
  • Conducting audits or spot-checks of equipment and systems for compliance, for example, monitoring on-board speed devices
  • Reviewing contracts and commercial arrangements to make sure they do not directly or indirectly encourage breaches of speed Law
  • Putting contingency plans in place regarding operational issues within speed Laws, such as loading and unloading or managing traffic delays.

Chain of responsibility for heavy vehicles

All parties in the road transport supply chain - including the consignor, consignee, packer, loader and receiver, as well as the driver and operator have specific obligations under the law to prevent a breach. It is called the Chain of Responsibility (COR).

To learn more about COR, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's Chain of Responsibility website.


Safe-T-Cam is a network of cameras that monitor the movement of heavy vehicles on South Australian roads.

The cameras are on major arterial roads and record, verify and store information about heavy vehicles, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The cameras help to detect drivers that:

  • fail to take required rest breaks specified by driving hours regulations
  • travel between any two or more Safe-T-Cam sites in less than the allowable time
  • attempt to avoid detection at camera sites
  • drive a heavy vehicle or combination that is unregistered and uninsured.

If you comply with legal requirements, Safe-T-Cam will not affect you or your business.

You are required to retain all driver records for three years and produce them when requested. Failure to produce driver and operator records when requested is an offence.

Penalties will also apply for offences originating in New South Wales and detected in South Australia.

Safe-T-Cam camera locations

Map showing Safe-T-Cam Sites at Globe Derby, Willaston, Crafers, Border Village, Marla, Stirling North, Yunta, Yamba, Pinnaroo, Kieth, and Bordertown.

Travel times calculator

Use the travel time online calculator to determine the minimum time allowed for travel between Safe-T-Cam sites.

Other websites


Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
PO Box 196
Ingle Farm SA 5098

Phone - 1300 660 279, Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Fax - 8260 0435
Email - DPTI.SafeTCam@sa.gov.au

National Driver Work Diary

Under the heavy vehicle national law, drivers of fatigue-regulated vehicles must keep a National Driver Work Diary of their work and rest times, and should not drive these vehicle while impaired by fatigue.

A fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle is:

  • a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than 12 tonnes
  • a vehicle combination, where the total GVM of all the vehicle in the combination is more than 12 tonnes
  • a bus with a GVM of more than 4.5 tonnes that seats more than 12 adults (including the driver).

When to use a National Driver Work Diary

Drivers of fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles must use a diary to record their work and rest times if they:

  • drive 100 km or more from their home base, or
  • operate under basic fatigue management or advanced fatigue management.

For more details about fatigue management and how to use the diary, see National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) Fatigue management webpage.

Some drivers may be eligible for a work diary exemption that allows them to use an alternative way to record their work and rest details.

Replacing a diary

Drivers must immediately replace a full diary with a new diary.

Drivers who work in areas without access to a diary outlet have seven business days to replace the diary. During this time you must continue to record all work and rest time in a Temporary record sheet.

If your work diary is lost, stolen or destroyed you must:

  • report this to Service SA if you are a South Australian driver, or to the state or territory licensing authority that issued your driver's license, within two business days
  • replace your diary immediately.

Where to get a diary

The diary, with instructions, can be downloaded from the NVHR publications page under the Fatigue Management heading or purchased for $25.00 from the following South Australian outlets.

Service SA Customer Service Centres

Rural Police Stations

  • Amata
  • Andamooka
  • Burra
  • Ceduna
  • Cleve
  • Cockburn
  • Coober Pedy
  • Cowell
  • Edithburgh
  • Elliston
  • Ernabella
  • Keith
  • Kimba
  • Kingscote
  • Lameroo
  • Leigh Creek
  • Lock
  • Mannahill
  • Marla
  • Maree
  • Mimili
  • Minlaton
  • Murputja
  • Oodnadatta
  • Penong
  • Peterborough
  • Pinnaroo
  • Roxby Downs
  • Stansbury
  • Streaky Bay
  • Woomera
  • Wudinna
  • Yorketown
  • Yunta

DPTI Regional Offices

  • Crystal Brook - Wongabirrie Road
  • Port Augusta - Corner of Eyre Highway and Press Road

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator



Phone - 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487)
Fax - (07) 3309 8777


PO Box 492
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006

Was this page useful?

What did you like about it?
How can we make it better?
We cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

Page last updated 30 November 2016

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016