Renew your driver's licence
You should receive a notice with an application to renew your driver's licence in the mail about four to six weeks before it expires. If you don't receive your renewal notice or it has been lost or destroyed, phone 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA customer service centre.
How to renew
A driver's licence may be renewed for any period between one and ten years. Driver's licence photographs are valid for ten years, so your options for renewal period are based on the expiry date of your photograph.
For example, if your photograph was taken three years ago, you can renew your licence for up to seven years without a new photograph.
Check your application form to find out whether you need a new photograph for the renewal period you want.
If you don't need a new photograph you can renew your licence:
- Online - renew your licence online and pay the fee using Visa or MasterCard.
- In person - go to a Service SA customer service centre or selected Australia Post office with your completed application form and and payment by cash, money order, Visa/Mastercard credit or debit card.
- By post - send your completed application with payment by cheque, money order, Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card to:
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001
If you need a new photograph, you must renew your licence in person.
- Go to a Service SA customer service centre or selected Australia Post office with your completed application.
- Take your current driver's licence or evidence of identity
- Pay the fee using cash, money order, Visa/ MasterCard debit or credit card.
Licence renewal and photo point locations
You can renew your driver's licence and have your photograph taken, if needed, at any Service SA customer service centre or selected Australia Post office. If your licence expired more than six months ago, or you have changed your address, name or other licence details you can only renew at a customer service centre.
If you are unable to go to a customer service centre or post office, phone 13 10 84.
Overseas or interstate
If you're currently located interstate or overseas and can't use the online option, you'll need to apply for a photo-kit by writing to:
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001
Fax: 8226 7556
Receiving your renewed licence
You should receive your renewed licence in the post within three weeks.
If you renew online, you can print out a temporary licence. If you renew in person, you will be given a temporary licence.
A temporary licence is valid for a period of one calendar month or until you get the photo licence in the mail, whichever is earlier.
If you have not received the new licence within 21 days please contact Service SA on phone 13 10 84. If you do not contact Service SA within 30 days of renewing your licence you may be liable for a replacement licence fee.
Fees are calculated on the annual licence fee multiplied by the number of years you choose to renew, plus an administration fee.
Effective from 1 July 2016.
|Driver's licence and learner's permit||Concession||Fee|
|Driver's licence issue or renewal per year plus an administration fee of $17.00 (1 to 10 year licences available)||$21.00|
|Provisional driver's licence first issue (issued for 3 years and includes a $17.00 administration fee)||$80.00||$143.00|
|Learner's permit first issue (only issued for 24 months)||$59.00|
|Learner's permit renewal (9 months)||$32.00|
|Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)|
Send your enquiry to Service SA and we'll respond within five business days.
- Registration and driver's licences - 13 10 84 (8.00 am to 6.00 pm)
- General government information - 13 23 24 (9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
- Overseas callers - +61 8 8463 3490