Disability-related complaints and feedback

You are entitled to make a complaint if you feel you have been treated unfairly because of a disability. You can also provide feedback, good or bad, about the services or support you receive.

How you do this depends on what the complaint or feedback is about.

Support to make a complaint

Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC) is an independent body that helps people resolve disability-related complaints.

You can contact the HCSCC directly by phoning 8226 8666 or 1800 232 007 (free from country South Australia using a landline).

Lodge an HCSCC complaint online.

Advocates provide support and advice across a diverse range of issues for people with disability and represent the interests of the person they advocate for.

The National Disability Advocacy Program provides people with disability access to effective disability advocacy services and providers.

National Disability Advocacy Program providers in South Australia.

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) can offer advocacy support if you have an appointed guardian from that office.

Phone the OPA directly by phoning 8342 8200 or freecall 1800 066 969 from country South Australia using a land line.

Complain about unfair treatment because of a disability

The following organisations can provide support and advice to guide you through the complaints process if you feel you have been treated unfairly because of a disability.

The Australian Human Rights Commission leads the promotion and protection of human rights in Australia and has a brief guide to the Disability Discrimination Act.

The Equal Opportunity Commission of South Australia administers anti-discrimination and equal opportunity laws and can help you if you feel you have been discriminated against.

The Disability Standards for Education 2005 ensure that students with disability are able to access education and training free from discrimination and on the same basis as other students.

Providing complaints or feedback about a funded disability service

The Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Client feedback page allows you to provide online feedback or make a complaint about services that are funded through the state government.

If you prefer to speak to someone in person you can phone the Disability Information Service on 1300 786 117 and provide your feedback.

MySupportAdvisor is a DCSI website where you can provide feedback about the services you use and see the comments and reviews left by others.

Providing complaints or feedback about government agencies or local councils

You can raise your complaint directly with the relevant department or local council if you have a general complaint.

The South Australian Ombudsman is an independent body that can provide you with free impartial support if your complaint is about state or local government.

Contact the Commonwealth Department of Social Services to provide feedback on a DSS program or funded service provider, including Australian Disability Enterprises and Disability Employment Services.

The DCSI Client feedback page also allows you to provide online feedback or make a complaint about disability related services.

The National Disability Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS) is an independent body that helps resolve complaints about Commonwealth-funded disability employment and advocacy services. Phone: 1800 011 140.

The Social Security Appeals Tribunal (SSAT) is an independent body that reviews individual cases of payments administered by Centrelink. Phone: 1800 011 140.

Reporting abuse and neglect

The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a telephone service for reporting the abuse or neglect of people with disability.

You can phone the hotline on 1800 880 052 or TTY 1800 301 130 from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm every day. National Relay Service 1800 555 677.

Related information

On this site

Freedom of information - your legal right to access documents and information

Other websites

Programs and services - Department of Social Services
Disability Advocacy & Complaints Service of South Australia Inc

Page feedback

Was this page useful?
What did you like about it?
How can we make it better?

We cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

You can also help us improve the website by completing a short survey.

Page last updated: 26 July 2016