Complaints and advocacy

Everyone has a right to provide feedback or raise a complaint if they are concerned about the way they have been treated by a service provider. 

You can raise your concerns directly with the agency, with or without help from family or friends, or to use an advocacy service. An advocate provides confidential independent information about the rights and entitlements of people using services. They also discuss options and possible consequences of any course of action. Government-funded advocacy services do not charge for their help.

  • The Office of the Public Advocate protects the rights and interests of people with reduced mental capacity and their carers - phone 8342 8200 or 1800 066 969.
  • The Aged Rights Advocacy Service helps consumers of aged care services and their carers with service-related issues or abuse of older people - phone 8232 5377 or email
  • The Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of SA provides information about concerns with disability services - phone 8234 5699 or 1800 088 325.
  • The Welfare Rights Centre helps people with information and support relating to Centrelink - phone 8223 1338 or 1800 246 287.
  • The Disability, Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc (DACSSA) provides information and advocacy support to individuals, families, cares and communities. Phone 8297 3500. National Relay Service: 1800 555 630.

If, after all reasonable steps have been taken, you are still not satisfied with the outcome, contact the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner on 8226 8666 or 1800 232 007.

If your complaint relates to discrimination in the workplace, you should contact the Equal Opportunity Commission on 8207 1977.

Page feedback

Was this page useful?
What did you like about it?
How can we make it better?

We cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

You can also help us improve the website by completing a short survey.

Page last updated: 4 March 2016