Medical heating and cooling concession
The Medical Heating and Cooling Concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe worsening of their condition.
The concession is currently $215 per year and is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be resident in South Australia and have a qualifying medical condition themselves or be a parent/guardian of a child requiring cooling or heating to prevent severe worsening of their condition
- provide certification from their medical specialist or general practitioner that the medical condition is severely worsened by hot or cold weather
- live at the address on the application form
- use an air conditioning unit at that address to meet their medical heating and cooling requirements
- be financially responsible for the full or part payment of the energy bill.
Hold one of the following cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
Receive one of the following eligible Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.
How to apply
1. Application form
2. Complete with medical practitioner
Complete and sign the application form with your medical practitioner.
3. Submit the application
Post (no postage stamp required) to:
Medical Heating and Cooling Concession
Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001
Medical Heating and Cooling line - 1300 735 350
Concessions Hotline - 1800 307 758
If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.
Alternative versions of documents
Many documents on this site are displayed as PDF files.
If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.