GlassesSA is a new scheme that helps South Australians to obtain low cost glasses or, for those with serious eye conditions, low cost contact lenses. GlassesSA replaces the South Australian Spectacles Scheme.
About the scheme
If you are eligible for glasses, the maximum you will pay for a complete pair of glasses from a participating optometrist is:
- single vision lenses - $25
- single vision grind lenses - $30
- bi-focal lenses - $50
- multi-focal lenses - $100.
Optometrists will offer a selection of frames for you to choose from, but cannot offer to upgrade to more expensive frames or packages, nor can the benefit under GlassesSA be used as a discount against other frames, lenses, products or services.
If you are prescribed contact lenses under GlassesSA by Flinders Medical Centre, the Women’s and Children’s Hospital or the Royal Adelaide Hospital your lenses will be at no cost to you.
If you are eligible for contact lenses prescribed by an optometrist or ophthalmologist in a country location, you will pay $20 for your lenses. Optometrists or ophthalmologists cannot offer to upgrade to more expensive contact lenses, nor can the benefit under GlassesSA be used as a discount against other contact lenses, products or services.
How often can I get glasses or contact lenses?
If you are eligible for glasses, you are entitled to one new pair every three years. You may be eligible again during the three year time limit if the glasses are clinically necessary.
If you are eligible for contact lenses, you are entitled to them as often as they are certified as being clinically necessary by the optometrist or ophthalmologist for one of the prescribed eye conditions.
Eligibility for glasses
You may be eligible for a pair of glasses through GlassesSA if you live permanently in South Australia and you:
- receive a full Centrelink pension - eg a full age pension or full disability pension, or
- receive a full Newstart Allowance, or
- are under the age of 18 years and the dependant of a person eligible for glasses under GlassesSA.
Eligibility for contact lenses
You may be eligible for contact lenses through GlassesSA if you live permanently in South Australia and all of these apply to you:
- you hold one of these cards:
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- a Health Care Card that has been valid for a continuous period of at least 12 months, or be a person who is listed on a Health Care Card as a qualified dependant
- you have been diagnosed with a prescribed eye condition for which contact lenses are the only means of vision correction
- you have contact lenses which have only been prescribed by:
- Flinders Medical Centre, or
- the Women's and Children's Hospital, or
- the Royal Adelaide Hospital, or
- a country optometrist (a country optometrist is an optometrist whose business address has a postcode greater than 5200 - your residential address must also have a postcode greater than 5200).
Before you begin
Glasses or contact lenses can only be provided by an optometrist or ophthalmologist who is authorised under the scheme, or a member of their staff.
How to apply
Apply through a participating GlassesSA optometrist or ophthalmologist (eye specialist).
You will need to present your ID, such as a valid and current driver's licence, Centrelink card or passport.
To apply for glasses, you must also provide a copy of your Centrelink income statement to the optometrist or a member of their staff. The statement must be dated within the last month, and can be hard copy or electronic.
To apply for contact lenses, you must also show your Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card to the optometrist or ophthalmologist or a member of their staff.
Phone between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday - 1300 762 577
If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789.
Interpreting and translating
Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.
Email GlassesSA@sa.gov.au or phone 1300 762 577 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday.