Liquor and gambling

Liquor licences

There are currently 11 different categories of liquor licence:

  • club licence
  • direct sales licence
  • entertainment venue licence
  • hotel licence
  • limited club licence
  • producer's licence
  • residential licence
  • restaurant licence
  • retail liquor merchant's licence
  • special circumstances licence
  • wholesale liquor merchant's licence.

Who should apply

Anyone who intends to sell or supply liquor must apply for a licence.

The Liquor and Gambling Commissioner may refer certain matters to the Licensing Court.

View the division of responsibilities between the commissioner and the Licensing Court.

Apply for a licence

Apply for a one-off event licence

Other types of liquor licence

Related information

Other websites


Contact Consumer and Business Services


131 882

In person

91 Grenfell Street


GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 12 May 2017

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016