Works approval - environment
A business that constructs or alters a building or structure intended for an activity licensed by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) may be required to obtain a works approval.
Who should apply
New works approval
Any business establishing an activity that does not require development approval may be required to obtain an EPA works approval before applying for a licence.
The new works approval application is similar to a development application. It consists of an environmental assessment carried out for the EPA before it considers a licence application.
A business or person undertaking an activity that will generate excessive pollution may require an EPA exemption. Pollution includes noise, dust, smoke, odour, water, waste or stormwater.
Exemptions are a form of environmental authorisation. The proposed activity is assessed in terms of the risk of potential harm to the environment and human health.
How to apply
1. Application form
- Download a new works approval application form – print, complete, sign and date it.
- Download an exemption application form – print, complete, sign and date it.
Lodge the signed application with the EPA, along with the specified fee. EPA address details and fees are contained in each application form.
- Phone: 8204 2058
- Freecall (outside metro): 1800 623 445
- Fax: 8124 4672
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Approvals and exemptions can be renewed.
- Download the application form to renew your works approval
- Download the application form to renew your exemption
- General environmental licences – EPA
- Check EPA authorisations / licences – EPA Public Register Directory