Go straight to the business names registration service
A new national business names registration service replaced all state and territory services in 2012.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) administers the national service. South Australia's Consumer and Business Services (CBS) no longer has any responsibility for business names.
Once you register your business name through ASIC it can be used anywhere in Australia.
All business names previously registered in South Australia were automatically transitioned to the new national register.
Who can use the service
This service is available to any person or any business to register a business name.
The national register enables businesses to:
- search online to ensure their proposed name is not in use
- apply online
- renew online
- receive immediate confirmation of registration
- save time in registering
- pay reduced fees.
The two most common tasks when starting a business are:
- register a national business name
- register an Australian Business Number (ABN).
To help new businesses, the national service provides a linked process for registering both.
Before you start
To register a business name you'll need:
- the business name you wish to register
- the type of business entity you will operate under - sole trader, partnership, company
- your Australian business number (ABN) or ABN application reference number.
Register your business name
Register your business name on the ASIC website.
ASIC Business Names Registration Service
Client Contact Centre
Phone - 1300 300 630 - cost of a local call
Fax - (03) 5177 3999